It's simple, fun and super cute so I'm going to teach you how!
The only supplies you need are:
- Strip of cute fabric
- Sewing machine
- Hot glue gun
- Creative hands
1. Cut a strip from your fabric about an inch and a half wide. The longer you cut it, the bigger your flower will be.
2. Using your sewing machine, sew a straight stitch through the middle of the fabric strip. Do not back stitch the front or the end.
3. Leave enough thread at the ends to pull,
4. Gently pull the thread and gather the fabric together to create the ruffles. This is the tricky part!
5. Pull the gathering through the entire strip of fabric. Be gentle so the thread doesn't snap.
6. Once the fabric is all gathered together it should look similar to this.
7. The fabric will naturally fold in half at the seam once you have gathered it. Start rolling the seam together, holding it tight with your fingers.
8. Keep rolling it around itself in a circle until you run out of fabric. You can gather it tighter or looser depending on how you want the flower to look.
9. This is what the flower should look like on the other side of the rolled fabric.
10. Once you have your flower looking like you want it, cut out a small square of the same fabric and smear it with hot glue or fabric glue. I have used both and they both work well.
11. Cover the back side of the flower with the glue so that it holds the seams together.
12. Finally, cut around the fabric square to make sure that none of it is sticking out on the front of the flower.
The back should look similar to this.
Flip it over and...voila there you have it: You're very own handmade flower!
I like to make these flowers in to clips, headbands or other cutesy fashion accessories!
This Tuesday craft post is linked up to:
Today's Creative Blog
Funny Polkadot Giraffe
Sugar Bee Crafts
Not Just A Housewife